1.28.2007

Absinthe*

Absinthe is illegal
In the United States
Restriction is banal
The green fairy great
That is my rationale
For the unreasonable mandate
I refuse to pay attention
To the rules of convention

*A green liqueur having a bitter anise or licorice flavor and a high alcohol content, prepared from absinthe and other herbs, and now prohibited in many countries because of its toxicity. Known to some as the 'green fairy.'

Note to reader: I have attempted to write the above verse in an open form of poetry called ottava rima. Ottava Rima is defined as a stanza of eight lines of verse with the rhyme scheme abababcc. Technically, to be a true example of the form, each line should be written in iambic pentameter.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Nice blog. Hope you continue to enjoy your encounters with the green - or white - fairy.

Anonymous said...

You're doing a good job with this poetry. Keep enlightening us on the technical aspects of poetry. I just either rhyme or I don't. Either way, I call it poetry

Lance said...

now i feel the urge to "seek" absinthe, once overseas, of course. i'm sure they have it in amsterdam!

Cortney Gee and The Celebrity Cane Corsos said...

Ive had some of it In amsterdam as a matter of fact and some hash too and I dont even get high well I guess I have but dont make a habit of it ... but when I'm in amsterdam I do alot of things there I dont here like in america I never window shop